To: "Robin Becker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: gmirror HD failure detection

On 9/20/06, Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
After using Dru Lavigne's excellent article http://tinyurl.com/da66a about
Raid-1 I have a full Raid-1 mirror on a new rack server. I'm wondering if
anyone
can tell me how best to monitor the hardware status to detect imminent
failure
of one of the disks? Do I use something like smartctl in a cron or what?

When you installed smartmontools to get smartctl, it should have also
installed smartd. It will run in the background and notify you of
significant changes. man smartd for details.

- Bob