Sunil Kumar wrote:

I have been trying to install FreeBSD on a system which already has
Red Hat Linux installed with grub boot loader on a x86 hardware. I
managed to provide one of the partitions for FreeBSD and use the
option "A' (Auto Defaults) for creating the "/", "/var", '/usr" and
"/swap" configuration inside this parition. After selecting all the
required packages I get an error stating it is not able to find
necessary packages in the media and should it retry. This occurs for
every package.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'managed to provide one of the partitions for FreeBSD'. I am guessing that you mean, you had some unallocated space on your HD, and you created a FreeBSD slice in that space, and then you created the partitions '/', '/var' etc. inside that slice.

I just downloaded, burned, and installed the FreeBSD *.iso's last week, but I only downloaded and burned two of them... the ones labeled 'disk1' and 'disk2' at:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/6.1/

I did not bother downloading and burning the one labeled 'bootonly' as it is unnecessary.

I ran the entire installation [All] from disk1, which is bootable, and which, for me, was all that my machine (an MSI dual PIII server board) required... did not need to mess with disk2.

I downloaded three *.iso images from the  www.freebsd.org website and
burnt in on 3 CDs and used the first CD which just contains the
"/boot" directory for starting the installation. My question is:
1) Why doesn't it ask me to load the next CD in to the CDRom Drive
during the installation, which I presume contains all the required
packages and binaries?

If you were using the bootonly.iso, I suspect that it is what I assumed it was... just a 'boot only' CD, w/o the installation files. I made that assumption bases on the size of the image... only 23,722 KB, as opposed to the 500,000+ KB of the other iso's.

2) Will I be able to still boot Linux if I allow FreeBSD to overwrite
the MBR with its own boot loader, which it asks during installation?

I am guessing from past experience, that you have several ways to go that would work...

Either you can choose to leave the MBR alone, and later you can add an entry to GRUB, so that FreeBSD can be booted from there, or you can choose to install the FreeBSD boot loader, which will in all likelihood find your Linux kernel(s) and add that/them to the list, or you can leave the MBR alone and just boot FreeBSD from the 'boot only' CD you have created, by typing in an argument at the boot> prompt, telling it where the kernel is.

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
.       http://robertwittig.net/