On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 11:09:05AM +0200, Desmond Coughlan wrote:

> Hi,
>   I hope that I'm not sending this to the wrong list, or that the question
> hasn't already been answered.
>
>   I'm trying to install 6.1-RELEASE onto a Pentium-3.
>
>   I had a lot of trouble creating the diskettes, but after changing the
> floppy drive, no problem.  Now, when I do the install, I have two hard
> drives, and configure them as follows...
>
>   disk0
>   150M /
>   512M /etc
>   512M /etc
>   512M /var
>   1024M /bin
>   4096M /usr
>   1024M swap
>
>   disk1
>   4096M /forums
>   4096M /mail
>   4096M /sql
>   1024M swap
>
>   I go through the installation, via ftp, and then set the root password.
> Oh, and the 'FreeBSD boot manager' is the option I choose, when configuring
> the disks.

This exact same question and situation was on the list about a week ago
from someone else.  You should check out recent archives.

Anyway, my guess was that you must not make /etc a separate file system.
It should remain as part of  /  (root).

When the installation is going on, the system is really working from a
different root and kernel and everything - one from the floppy or CD
or in a 'memory' file system.   That includes a special separate /etc
directory.

After the install, when the system is booting, it first mounts only root
in a special Read Only state.  It takes a wild guess that root is in
partition 'a' of the boot slice - which is required so it is a true
guess.

But, then it tries to do a remount rw and to read /etc/fstab and maybe
some other files to find out what to do for the rest of the boot, but
since only root is mounted, it cannot find /etc/fstab because /etc is
not mounted.  So, you need to leave etc as part of root.

This was initially a shot in the dark suggestion by me when this
problem was posted a week ago, but the previous poster with that
problem wrote back and said redoing the partitioning without a
separate /etc solved the problem for him.

So, my suggestions on the above are to get rid of the separate /etc
partitions and to increase your /var to at least double.

I also noted that you have  '/etc'  listed twice, but I was assuming that
is a typo.   If not, well, you can't do that - have two partitions mounted
at the same mount point - at least not and still make use of both of them.

////jerry

ps.  You do not need 512 MB for /etc.  Mine uses up only about 1.6 MB