On Oct 19, 2006, at 8:24 AM, ke han wrote:
So my desire is two things:
1 - good event handling for knowing which sockets have new data. I assume kqueue is the way to go here?

kqueue would be a fine choice, otherwise the typical mechanism involves using select().

2 - I need to know what my limits are on max number of sockets. If my system is a 64-bit install on a server with 8GB RAM, I need to know how many sockets I can handle. Also, what options do I have to tune this? socket buffer size? Any kernel parameters needed to tune?

See the sysctl kern.ipc.maxsockets. You can change this and related settings by adjusting loader.conf (see /boot/defaults/loader.conf and "man tuning" about "LOADER TUNABLES")...

--
-Chuck