On Oct 24, 2006, at 1:32 AM, Nico -telmich- Schottelius wrote:
Situation:
   - git running on fbsd 5.3.
   - 4 people work on the same project
   - git is used over ssh (aka git+ssh://)
   - when new objects are created, they belong to the creating user
   - normal umask is 077 (we are all paranoid)

We want that every newly created file and directory is modifyable
by any user of the 'git' group.

Have git be setgid to this git group and call umask() to 027.
Or write a trivial shell-script wrapper to reset the umask, if you want to do it that way.

Now I am interested on how you would solve this problem with standard
Unix-Ids without using external tools (like callin chown/chgrp/chmod
each update).

This constraint makes the problem impossible to solve. Either you are interested in the impossible, or you aren't really looking to solve the problem using standard Unix mechanisms...

--
-Chuck