Kurt Dethier wrote:
Derrick Edwards wrote:
On Saturday 02 December 2006 09:22, Joe Holden wrote:
Kurt Dethier wrote:
STUN will only work if you have the correct NAT implementation on
your gateway. If you are using pf, you get what the STUN RFC calls
a symmetric NAT. STUN will not help you in such an implementation.
I'm not sure how the other NAT solutions on FreeBSD are implemented.

If you need a solution for a symmetric NAT, you need something that
understands the signaling protocol and can add fw/nat rules on demand
on your gateway, or a media proxy (like TURN).

Kurt

It is entirely possible to use voip behnd symmetric nat, but it also
entirely depends on the setup, some more details will help.

Hi, I am not sure of your setup either, but I have Vongae working behind a FreeBSD Firewall/Router using PF with NAT.

Hi all,
It is very possible to use VOIP behind a symmetric NAT, but STUN is not
going to be any help. Depending on the setup and clients I have
implemented a number of solutions over the past years.
Unfortunately I haven't found a single solutions that always works.

Kurt

Forgive me if I'm not understanding the issue properly, but don't you have port-forwarding setup on the FreeBSD box for the machine that you are trying to use VoIP with? It seems like the problem would *sort* or be that simple to solve, unless the VoIP setup uses a P2P type configuration where it picks multiple ports for listening and transferring data.

Maybe it's just my misunderstanding of VoIP..
-Garrett