On Sunday 24 December 2006 07:46, Dino Vliet wrote:
> Hi peeps,
>
> I have tried to update my src with cvsup and got stuck
> because of an error while doing make installworld.
>
> My system is an amd64 machine running freebsd 6.1 and
> I have performed the steps without problems:
> -make buildworld
> -make buildkernel kernconf=mykkernel
> -make installkernel kernconf=mykernel
>
> Normally I would then immediately follow this sequence
> with a mergemaster -p, make installworld and
> mergemaster -i and then reboot.
>
> However, this time I decided to check the handbook and
> saw that it recommended to do a boot into single user
> mode between the step -make installkernel
> kernconf=mykernel AND the step mergemaster -p.
>
> So I did it and when I rebooted and saw the beastie
> splash screen, I hit option 4. Then I had to press
> enter to get to the shell. When I did I noticed I
> couldn't cd into the /usr/src directory because the
> /usr/src directory was missing!

The filesystem is not mounted in single  user mode. You need to do
a "mount -a" which will read /etc/fstab and mount the slices. After that you
can cd normally. Also, you should not do a make installworld in multi-user.
You should do that step in single user before you run mergemaster. Doing a
make installworld before finding out if the new kernel will boot will bite
you big time at some point. Believe me I've been there.

Beech

> So I rebooted again into multi-user mode and here I
> tried the mergemaster -p but it failed with:
>
> ===> lib/libcom_err/doc (install)
> lockf -k /usr/share/info/dir  install-info --quiet
> --defsection="Programming & development tools."
> --defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common
> Error Description Library for UNIX."  com_err.info
> /usr/share/info/dir
> install -o root -g wheel -m 444  com_err.info.gz
> /usr/share/info
> ===> lib/libcrypt (install)
> install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libcrypt.a
> /usr/lib
> install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libcrypt_p.a
> /usr/lib
> install -s -o root -g wheel -m 444   -fschg -S
> libcrypt.so.3 /lib
> install: rename: /lib/[EMAIL PROTECTED] to /lib/libcrypt.so.3:
> Operation not permitted
> *** Error code 71
>
> Stop in /usr/src/lib/libcrypt.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/lib.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/src]#
>

> So, what to do now???
>
> O yeah, I've been running my system from
> securelevel=3, so maybe that has something to do with
> this also.
>
> Any help will be appreciated...
>
> (Yes, it's Christmas eve, I know, but hey that gives
> me a lot of time to check things out).
>
> Thanks
>
> ps is this bad? Should I start evacuate all my
> important files while I'm still able to?

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com