[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I want a regular user to be able to mount removeable media and shutdown the computer. If I make them a member of operator group what else am I
allowing them to do?

With the usual permission settings, you are also allowing them to read
disks directly (e.g. with dump(8)), and thus to read any file on the
system -- including the system's and other users' private key files.

Good point, thanks

One alternative is sudo.

There are some notes somewhere about setting up a group and setting permissions in devfs.conf and devfs.rules which I have been using. I thought maybe using operator would be more convenient. Doing my own setup is fiddly but I know what they are allowed. And sudo for shutting down works fine.

Thanks for the reply.

Chris