Many thanks, that solved the problem

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Pieter de Goeje [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 January 2007 07:01
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc: Brian Levie
Subject: Re: unable to load kernel

On Monday 08 January 2007 16:47, Brian Levie wrote:
> After installing FreeBSD 6.1, I get the error message ‘Unable to load
> kernel’ and it goes to an OK prompt.  I suspect the problem is in the
> geometry, when installing I get the message  ’Geometry of 238316/16/63
> for ad0 is incorrect.  Using a more likely geometry’.   And appears to
> use 14946/255/63.    However the BIOS shows 58853/16/255, but
attempting
> to use this produces the same error message.   The system has a 200Gb
> hard disk, all but the last 1.5Gb is Windows XP, and it is the last
> 1.5Gb I have tried to install FreeBSD.  Any suggestions would be much
> appreciated.
No, the problem is that you do not have a kernel installed. When you
come to
the distribution part in sysinstall (FreeBSD's installation program),
make
sure you have selected at least one of the two available kernels in
"Binary
kernel distributions (required)".
Good Luck!

Cheers,
Pieter

PS. Although you certainly _can_ install FreeBSD on a 1.5GB partition, I
would
recommend more than 1.5GB for FreeBSD (for a fully configured system, 8+
GB
would be apropriate)

10/01/2007 14:52