Hi,

thats harsh, because before i used a cheaper Mitsubishi, forgot the Model, but before Christmas i purchased a Cisco ws-c2960-48tt-l , which i thought was not too bad for what i needed. I just cant replace it easily now. Really, is that it? Im gonna have to go with the cronjob / shell script option?

So sad,
David

On Jan 22, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Been there.  You need to replace your ethernet switch.  It's what
they call an ethernet hardware incompatability.

Forcing the card to 10baset half or 100 base t full might fix it but
probably not.

Ted
.
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Schulz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 7:12 PM
Subject: Loosing Ethernet Connectivity

Hello all,

every once in a while i have a machine (6.1) that out of the blue,
sometimes after days, some after 6 months, looses Ethernet
Connectivity. My Machines just run some Service, and have no
Keyboard / Mouse or Monitor. When the Machine goes down, eg, i am
unable to ping it from another Machine on the Network, even
restarting the machine using "reboot" will not fix the Problem. The
only way to fix it is to login as root, and issue a "ifconfig vr0
down && ifconfig vr0 up". Then a dmesg Message appears : "vr0: Using
force reset command.", and after that i can successfully ping the
machine again. I have had this Problem on different machines with
different Network Cards, on different Ethernet Cables, and with
FreeBSD Versions 5.5 until 6.1.

Can anyone please help me to understand and possibly even fix this
Problem?

Thanks a lot,
David