On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Bill Campbell wrote:

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello again,
   I'm revising some documentation that has examples of running Unix
   commands and I want to make sure that my steps are correct, such that I
   can substitute the tilde character ('~') for $HOME. The only issue I
   can see with this is an improper configuration with sudo (ran into some
   problems with $HOME in the past using sudo on Gentoo), but I'm pretty
   sure that sudo's setup on the machine cluster properly.

That's true on most relatively modern shells, but not on pure
Bourne Shell, /bin/sh.

As for ``sudo'', ``sudo -'' invokes the login environment while a
plain ``sudo'' doesn't.

Bill

``If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these acceptance
speeches there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven.''
   Will Rogers

Ok, I'll stick with home then.
Thanks!
-Garrett