---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:53:30 -0800 (PST)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Portupgrade out of swap - corrupt pkg info...

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD wrote:

I updated the ports on my laptop last night ran:

portsnap fetch update

followed by:

portupgrade -arR

This ran normally until it hit vim-gtk2. It built fine but whilst it was registering the installation became unresponsive.

Hard rebooted, and found that in /var/log/messages it referred to being out of swap (I don't have the exact message to hand).

pkg_info did not show vim as installed, so when portupgrade finished a cd'd to /usr/ports/editors/vim and ran make install clean. This installed without error.

If you ran make install clean then it should have installed the pkg info.

However, now when I run pkg_info it reports that the pkg info for vim-gtk2 is corrupt.

Hmmm...

Could anyone help with 2 questions:

~ How do I fix the package database entry for vim?

pkg_install should do the trick, but you already cleaned out the package build directory ><. make install for vim-gtk2 should do the trick now.

~ What might have caused my machine to run out of swap? It was running X and twm with 1 xterm open. For hardware it has 256MB RAM and a 470MB swap partition. I've not had this problem before.

Ouch.. you should actually have more swap than that (2*(Physical RAM amount) = 512MB swap would be a better idea in the future).

As for running out of swap, what are your make options for ruby? Having the ruby doc (or whatever it was) option selected ate up a lot of memory on machines a few months back; having this option deselected and rebuilding ruby fixes the memory bloat.

make config in the lang/ruby* ports directory will yield the desired result here.

-Garrett