On Feb 15, 2007, at 11:45 PM, Gary Schenk wrote:

After editing and successfully running "make cleandepend" and "make depend",
my custom kernel failed during "make" with this output:

: undefined reference to `ieee80211_next_scan'
*** Error code 1

If you have removed all Wireless LAN stuff your kernel, then also comment out ural (USB wireless).

This isn't properly documented in the NOTES or GENERIC comments, and the Handbook doesn't even mention ural.

Like you, I discovered this the hard way.

Here are excerpts from my kernel configuration file.

# Wireless NIC cards
#device         wlan            # 802.11 support
#device         wlan_wep        # 802.11 WEP support
#device         wlan_ccmp       # 802.11 CCMP support
#device         wlan_tkip       # 802.11 TKIP support
#device an # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
#device         ath             # Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
#device         ath_hal         # Atheros HAL (Hardware Access Layer)
#device         ath_rate_sample # SampleRate tx rate control for ath
#device         awi             # BayStack 660 and others
#device ral # Ralink Technology RT2500 wireless NICs. #device wi # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs.
#device         wl              # Older non 802.11 Wavelan wireless NIC.

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device umass # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse
# ural requires WLAN support
#device ural # Ralink Technology RT2500USB wireless NICs
device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners