At 09:23 AM 02/27/2007, Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
named is not starting when I reboot a FreeBSD 6.2 server and I cant

figure
out why.
there are no error mesasges in /var/log/messages during the boot

process.

even when I manually start there are no error messages.

# grep named /etc/rc.conf
named_enable="YES"
# pkg_info | grep bind
bind9-9.3.4         Completely new version of the BIND DNS suite with

updated

why you are installing bind from ports - there is bind9 in base system. and it's controlled with named_enable.

because there are security exploits and keeping upto date version is important to me.
http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/bind-security.php

I actually rolled my own version of Bind (9.4.0) and have it working perfectly and starting under rc.conf

(I had to edit /etc/rc.d/named though)

-JD