Ray wrote:
On Saturday 17 March 2007 6:27 pm, Garrett Cooper wrote:
Ray wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to setup a new server, and I'm having some problems mostly
with the network card. (machine specs follow) I can't get a driver to
work for the integrated network card.  I've spent a number of hours on
google / "the complete freeBSD" / "the freeBSD handbook". the handbook
(section 11.8
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-
setup.html) outlines using ndis (project evil) drivers. I tried using
this. I went through ndisgen, and everything seemed to work. I then tried
to use kldload and got the error message:
"kldload: can't load file.ko :operation not permitted"
of course I did all of this as root. I am using the amd64 version of
freeBSD (is this my first mistake?) and the 64 bit version of the
drivers. as a side note, the supplied driver disk includes a source
version of the linux driver. is there any way to use this?
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Ray
machine specs
ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE mobo
2GB ram
AMD 5200 x2 processor (sorry, the box isn't in front of me)
Not sure if nForce drivers are supported on the 6.2 install CD. You
might want to give one of the 7-CURRENT driver CDs a go. Grab a snapshot
iso from <ftp://ftp7.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200703>, or the
directory above it in one of the other snapshot directories if that
doesn't work for you.
Thanks for the response. just 2 questions:
1) is 7-CURRENT ready for a production environment?

By no means yet.

2) should I stick with amd64 or should I go back to i386?

I don't think that will solve the problem. I think it has to do with driver availability. If you can get the 7-CURRENT snapshot to install and upgrade the source tree with amd64, you might be able to update the sources for your system and get on track with 6.2-RELEASE.

-Garrett