W. D. wrote:
At 21:25 5/1/2007, Garrett Cooper wrote:
W. D. wrote:
At 20:59 5/1/2007, Matt Emmerton wrote:
usw2# cd make++
usw2# ls -lt
total 5
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1221 May  1 18:35 Makefile
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   190 May  1 18:35 distinfo
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   643 May  1 18:35 pkg-plist
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   602 Oct 17  2004 pkg-descr
usw2# make install
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 5460: Malformed conditional
(defined(USE_RCORDER) || defined(USE_RC_SUBR) && ${USE_RC_SUBR:U} != "YES")
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 5470: Malformed conditional
(defined(USE_RC_SUBR) && ${USE_RC_SUBR:U} != "YES")
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 5481: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 5481: Need an operator
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 5958: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 5958: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE

Just ran cvsup.  Any ideas?
------

The ports collection is only guaranteed to work on the current release of
FreeBSD, which is 6.2.
You're running 4.4-REL, which is fairly old (~5.5 years -- Sep/2001) and you
should consider upgrading.
How do I do that without killing this production server?

--
Matt Emmerton
W.D.,

Also, did you know that your mail address probably is getting marked as spam by the majority of the users on this list running anti-spam software?

Why?  What anti-spam methods are you using?

Mark,
That's not true. The ports collection is supposed to work for all versions of FreeBSD which are supported, which includes 5.x.

-Garrett

Well, you could also roll back the port for 'make' via cvsup to a point where it does compile, but 4.4 is ancient. I think it's time to bite the bullet and upgrade.

I suggest going to at least 4.11 first. Then *maybe* a jump to 5.x , followed by a jump to 6.x.

If this is production I'd build out a 6.2 version on another machine, throw the software from box A onto Box B , then swap them quickly ( maybe just the HDDs even!), downtime would be almost nothing and you can run this "test" to work out any kinks along the way.

If that's not an option with a second machine then a staged upgrade to the latest of the major revisions ( 4.4 -> 4.11 , 4.11 -> 5.5 , 5.5 -> 6.2 ) The three staged approach should creep in the changes slowly enough so you can address problems along the way should there be any issues. A straight jump from 4.4 -> 6.2 probably won't work due to the major changes along the way (ACLs have been introduced, standard locations for various system utils have moved , etc.. ). You will probably want a settling period for each of the staged approach, say , 3 - 5 days after each one ?

Watch out for ISA cards if you have any, I attempted a jump from 4.11 -> 5.1 with problems :(

Good luck,
Theorem