On May 15, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Ross Penner wrote:
[ ... about fsck... ]
It seems to my unexperienced eye that their are problems in some of
the filesystems, but they arn't being resolved. I tried running fsck
-y  and nothing changed. What am I doing wrong? How can I resolve
these issues? Thanks for any help you can offer.

You can only (usefully) run fsck on unmounted filesystems. Normally, if a filesystem has problems and cannot be mounted, the system will not enter multi-user mode and will require the operator to run it from single-user mode. You can also boot off of a CD and fsck the hard drive that way.

Note that you generally need to answer "yes" to the repair questions fsck asks of you....

--
-Chuck