On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 08:39:06AM -0000, DSA - JCR wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I was trying to connect to my FreeBSD 6.2 box with SSH with PUTTY by
> several days with the user "root" and nothing happens, only a denied
> password from FBSD, and a timeout close connection.
>
> But, a flash came to my mind ;D and then I tried to connect by a different
> user and... "voila", ssh connections came alive !!..
>
> My question is: if root user is locked to connect by ssh (I think it maybe
> logic, but..)

That is the default and best practice.

> If it is so, how can I make an user that has same priviliges as root (I
> beg your pardon for this newbie question...) I think that wheel group is
> ok but what more?..

If you include your id in the wheel group (add it to the wheel line
in the /etc/group file), then you can log in with that id.  Once you
have logged in, then you can 'su' to root if you know the root password.

> The think is that I need to connect to my FBSD box from outside the office
> in a secure manner and control it,... well, surely you know this ;D

Yes, use ssh to first get logged in.  Then use su to go to root.
It is more secure that way.

Alternatively, you can use sudo to create a set of things you can
do from your non-root account without logging in as root.   That is
probably even safer.   sudo is in ports.

////jerry