well, per Ian's catch/suggestion, removing the 'blank line' from my
"ppp.conf", and moving,

  add default HISADDR

to the "ppp1:" connection stanza seems to have done the trick!  pf
loads properly on reboot.

swithc it back, and it does not.

so, guessing, it's the lack of a default root as a result of the blank line.

the "gotcha" here was that, according to my notes, i *HAD*
checked/ensure that  my default routes were correctly initialized
(with "netstat -nr"), but, apparently, BEFORE i'd naively/mistakenly
added that blank line.

woohoo!

and, thanks all for the add'l comments -- good pointers on anchors and
pf operation in general.  archiving this thread! :-)

cheers.