Norberto Meijome writes:

>  Look for some threads in this list about ALT key and alternative
>  keyboadd maps not working after the upgrade. There is a suuposed
>  fiex, but I haven't tested it yet.

        On the advice of a third party, I added this:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "DontZap"               "false"
        Option  "DontZoom"              "true"
        Option  "AllowMouseOpenFail"    "true"

#  XFree86 4.[34].x - Add "DontVTSwitch" to be false (for
#         console switching).

        Option  "DontVTSwitch"          "false"
        Option  "HandleSpecialKeys"     "always"

#  Xorg 6.8.(2|99.903) - Add "XkbDisable" to be true (for
#         console switching).

        Option  "XkbDisable"    "true"
EndSection

        at the end of my xorg.conf.
        This has fixed the "ctl+alt+<Fn>" problem.  There may be side
effects, but so far I haven't triggered any of them.

                                        Robert Huff