Laszlo Nagy wrote:

Check out healthd or mbmon. One or other has worked OK for me on other Asus boards, and both are in ports (sysutils/ I think).

If you have ACPI and your board supports thermal zones, then you can check those.
   sysctl -a | egrep 'acpi.*therm'
or
   sysctl -a | egrep 'acpi.*tz'

one or other should be a good enough incantation. None of my ASUS mobos do have thermal zones so I can't be sure -- it's much more commonly supported in laptops.

Or just

   sysctl -a | egrep acpi

I do not have anything that looks like temperature. Is it still possible to use healthd or mbmon?

Yes. healthd and mbmon try to talk to the monitoring chip directly, so they can work with or without thermal zones. The only way to know *if* they work on your particular board is to try them :-( They don't take long to compile.

PS Many disks which support SMART can display their apparent temp as one of the SMART parameters (see sysutils/smartmontools). Not 100% trustworthy, but better than nowt. I'd rather fry the processor than a disk :-)

I'm not affraid of that. I have gmirror-ed disks and they are much cheaper than the processor ( E6320 ).

It's not the cost of the disks that worries me, it's the cost of the data! Yes, I mirror, and yes I back up to another server. But if one disk in a server overheats, likelihood is that the others will too :-( I just like low temperatures all round.

No idea re gnome-volume-manage; don't even know what it is.  Sorry.

--Alex