Quoting RW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:12:39 -0500
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

What I am trying to do is compile an amd64 kernel, install it and
see what happens ;) I can always go back to the generic kernel
compiled in sys/i386.

amd64 and i386 are different platforms in the same sense that sparc64
and ppc are different platforms. An AMD 64 is not back-compatible to
pentium pro code  when it's in 64-bit mode. Whilst 32-bit binaries can
be run on the amd64 platform, they need special handling, you can't
just mix-and-match world and kernel platforms.

Thanks, RW. I had assumed that and had hoped to run my make buildworld, make buildkernel, mergemaster, make installkernel and make installworld then upgrade all ports.

The problem is that I haven't been able to figure out, how to build using all amd64.

Again very dumb on my part, I'm sure.

ed