From: Chuck Swiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: cpghost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: kern.hz="100" stops high-pitched whine
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:46:19 -0400

cpghost wrote:
Are there any reasons NOT changing kern.hz from the
default 1000 back to 100? With my typical mix of
desktop apps (EPIA) and networking / server (Soekris),
everything seems to be running just as smoothly with
100 Hz than with 1000 Hz (testing now for two weeks
without problems). Even playing videos with mplayer
on the EPIA doesn't look different in any way.

Is it okay to stay with 100 Hz with this type of
low-speed CPU/boards? Or are there some compelling
reasons not to?

Actually, many Unix systems ran with HZ=100 until a few years ago, about when Gb ethernet and CPUs became common. A slower machine like the EPIA boxes do quite well with HZ=100/200/250 or so...HZ=1000 is better if you have a fast box running lots of concurrent processes, and/or are proxying or routing network traffic where the difference between 10 ms and 1ms of latency adds up and/or effects other systems.

--
-Chuck

A while ago, I noticed someone's kernel config that included:
hertz=2000
which made me wonder where this setting info comes from?

I've been using hertz=1000 however, with my much faster boxes, is this appropriate now?

Thanks,
Jack