Quoting Vladimir Tsvetkov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

It depends on what you really want. If you don't want 64-bit version OS, I
don't think you'll have problems at all. Recently, my PC got fucked up, I've
changed the mother board, switched from 32 bit AMD Athlon to a 64 bit AMD
Turion, and successfully booted from the previously installed FreeBSD
4.9Release on the hard drive.
If you want the 64 bit version of the OS, further investigation from you are
needed.
Check this out:
http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html

About two weeks ago, I lost two amd-32 servers and replaced them with amd-64 and am running off the old disks beautifully, and much, much faster. I have over 500 ports on both. One was and is running up to date Stable and the other up to date Current. I was planning on going to AMD64 but with the current results, I really doubt that I will make the change until well after the current 7.0 release.

I made this decision based on recommendations made on this list a few days ago. You might want to search the mailing lists if you need more assurance and if no just enjoy the AMD64. I'm happy with their performance and price.

enjoy,

ed

Best Regards,
Vladimir