John Bleichert wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Robin Damm wrote:

John Bleichert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hello All

I've just installed a minimal 4.7 box with X, mwm and Mozilla 1.2.1 (which is just plain mozilla in the ports, cvsup'd tongight). For some reason there are very few fonts available in the preferences in Mozilla, and the ones that are there look *awful*. I installed Netscape 4.8 and Opera and the fonts are fine with them.

Is something busted with native mozilla 1.2.1? Or am I missing something? It takes a looooong time to build Mozilla on this box...

I'm just speculating, but the "awful" font appearance could be related
to Xft. I build mozilla with the following option:

# make WITHOUT_XFT=yes

This greatly improves font appearance in mozilla (IMHO). There may be
a way to fix this by tuning X, but then you have two problems :)

Do post if you find a workaround other than recompiling with the
above option.

I was unable to find a solution - however, your method above worked like a charm. Thanks for the hint! Normally I've never had to do this. Perhaps it changed with the new mozilla build?

JB

# John Bleichert # http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg

There are also some settings you can add to "unix.js" (I believe). I have not tried using the compile flag mentioned upthread, but this config file change had an enormous effect for me.

Here's information on what to put in there if you are interested:
http://people.enginesofcreation.ie/mick/archives/000023.html

Hope that helps.

Pat Lathem