Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Rakhesh Sasidharan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I see that if I want to do disk striping/ concating/ mirroring,
FreeBSD offers the GEOM utilities and the Vinum LVM (which fits into
the GEOM architecture). Why do we have two different ways of doing the
same tasks -- any advantages/ disadvantages to either approach?

I did check the archives before posting this question. Got a couple of
hits, but they seem to be old info. Hence this question.

The GEOM utilities seem to be newer, fancier, and probably the
future. Vinum seems to be how things used to happen earlier. After
GEOM was introduced, if Vinum had been discarded, I would have
understood. But it wasn't. Instead, it was rewritten for GEOM and is
probably still actively maintained. So I wonder why we have two ways
of doing the same tasks ...

What I understand from the archives is that Vinum was _probably_
rewritten for GEOM coz the GEOM utilities were still new and not as
time tested as Vinum. Is that the case? So will Vinum continue to be
around for a while or it be discarded?

geom(4) does not provide RAID.  It provides framework services that
are used by gvinum(8), (and by many other disk-related capabilities).

Missed that one! :) There's no geom utility for RAID5, so that's definitely a difference. Thanks!

Another (related) question: both gvinum and the geom utilities like gmirror and gstripe etc provide for RAID0, RAID1, and RAID3. Any advantages/ disadvantages of using one instead of the other?

Thanks,

                                - Rakhesh
                                http://rakhesh.com/