Chris Maness wrote:
I am experiencing a very strange issue when I sync up my FreeBSD file server with my windows box using rsync. It seems as though the windows files end up read only in a way that I can't change back to read write using the standard windows tools, even if I delete it and create it again, very wierd. I can use the --no-p flag to keep it from copying these perms over to the FreeBSD box.

Thanks,

Hi Chris.

I don't have any experience of rsync, having been scared off it by every internet article and book ever written. I can suggest some alternatives though, if no one can help you out.

Have you tried scp? IIRC that does something similar. There's probably a free Windows version. FileZilla does SFTP, so if you have a SSH daemon on your file server you could get files that way. How about Bacula, a very good backup system which has Windows clients? One thing I don't recommend is Samba, which IMO is horrible to configure and doesn't preserve file attributes.

NFS is good too, but I haven't been able to find a decent free client. Unix Services for Windows almost trashed my entire XP partition. I'm not trying that again, and I spent ages downloading it too. :/

HtH,
Adam J Richardson