Michael C. Cambria wrote:
I need to set up a system that can only use packages. I've always used ports, so I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing things properly.

Should I (do I need to) use portsnap to populate /usr/ports? Unless I really need something that doesn't have a pkg available, I will not be using ports.

I've always used portupgrade, and plan to do so, using -PP (only packages) for this setup. My first question is should I?

Doing'pkg_add -r portupgrade' and it installed fine.
Using pkgdb -F however, resulted in these messages:

bsd# pkgdb -F
cd: can't cd to /usr/ports
cd: can't cd to /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
cd: can't cd to /usr/ports
---->  Chcecking the package registry database

Any help appreciated.

Hi Mike.

Let me see if I've got this... you want to be able to install packages, but not ports.

Well, that's easy...

# rm -R /usr/ports

Saves you a load of disk space, too. The only downside is you get slightly older versions of software with packages.

Oh, and don't use portsnap, it'll undo that "rm -R" for you. Using "portupgrade -PP" works perfectly well on those rare occasions when I want to install a package rather than a port.

I guess you could delete all executables matching "port*", but that might be going too far.

You could get rid of two of those error messages by doing a:

# mkdir /usr/ports

Regards,
Adam J Richardson