I reckon the last two additions to this thread was the passive-aggressive
version of "can't we just all get along.. and now STFU".

Look, Ted's right (ouch, that hurt ;-).

Quite often -- arguably always -- if you really want to be heard you have to
be able to confront controversial issues head on and tell it like it is (ok,
or rather how you think/feel/know it is). If you're on the other side of such
an issue, it's easy to publicly nod and safely join the herd, but it's much
harder to go against the grain. It's not called 'against the grain' for
nothing.

And though I not always (probably mostly not) agree with Ted, I for one
respect such a personality trait. It's easy to be a yes-man, it's much harder
to be a no-man. But if you believe in certain things or find that you have
gathered adequate evidence to support a different opinion, it's a good thing
to have the balls to say so. Nice form and good manners are valuable, but if
only used in order to maintain status quo they're merely shields for
the "yes-men".

Besides, I'm of the persuasion that thinks that a good flamewar now and than
isn't that bad, it's probably more harmful if the environment is such that
any strong resentment cannot be expressed without some form of repraisal
(sp?). Once you find yourself in such an environment it's do or die and you
bet that folks are going to leave eventually. For that reason alone, I
believe that the FreeBSD community actually needs people that tend to go
against the grain from time to time.  It's a healthy thing.

Now to get back to the subject, what I don't understand is how OP thinks that
[k]ubuntu would not need tinkering time. It's quite possible that a generic
debian or arch install requires less tinkering to get it to behave the way
you want (perhaps initially some more, but not after). Why not buy one of
those gorgeous new imacs or a Mac lappy and be done with it, while still
being able to do a lot of hacking if you really want to? From what I've read
OSX is a great development system.

Cheers,

Dan