hi guys,
i've tried a couple suggestions, but nothing is working for me. here is a
few things from the console that might be helpful. no xwindows on this
machine, it's just a base freebsd network install with  only the necessary
packages installed to do the audio stuff it needs to do.

radio# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to   7:7
Recording source: mic

radio# uname -a
FreeBSD radio 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 11:05:30 UTC
2007     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386

when i issue /etc/rc.d/mixer stop then reboot, the mixer shows set to 7:7,
but then  it still clips like it does on 90. then i set mixer to 7 and it
says setting mixer fro 90 to  7.

i am thinking that /etc/rc.d/mixer gets invoked before kldload loads the
driver because both dmesg and mixer tell me there is no mixer device till
the machine is up for around 2 minutes. maybe i will try the hda enable in
rc.conf, but it doesn't seem ac97 on unix is as well supported as the
windows drivers so i need the particular driver i downloaded (i might be
wrong).

cheers,
harry