On Sep 27, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Don O'Neil wrote:
I have an array that has a drive that keeps timing out/failing... So I need to replace it. However, I want to stress test/burn in a replacement disk
first.

What is the best way to do this?

It's reasonable to start with something like a:

   dd if=/dev/your_disk of=/dev/null bs=5120

...to at least try reading every sector on the drive as a basic sanity check. Better would be to install /usr/ports/sysutils/ smartmontools and run some SMART self-tests via:

   smartctl -t long /dev/your_disk

smartctl even understands some types of RAID controllers, but not all of them....

--
-Chuck