>  > I dump to /mnt/usbck/backup. Since backup dir was not present, the
>  > script created it under /
>
> Naughty script.  It should check against doing something like that, eg
> [ ! -d $backupdir ] && echo "no $backupdir - not mounted?" && exit 1
>
> You do have a very small root filesystem for the size of your disk, so
> similar disasters may need some preventing.  Something will want to use
> more than 100M in /tmp sometime, so you may want to symlink /tmp to say
> /usr/tmp if you haven't already.

Yes, that's true. You see this was my second or third attempt to
install FreeBSD which having been successful :) has survived up till
today and does what I want. I am sure I will do many things in a
different way in future than I did last time. For example, I would
like to reserve a separate partition for /home and a separate one for
mail so that I have as little trouble moving things around as
possible. But - hey - I am on this list and learning quite a lot!

And thanks for the /usr/tmp symlink tip!

Zbigniew Szalbot