On Sunday 28 October 2007, Andrew Wasilczuk wrote:
> I'm interested to see what servers people use for FreeBSD.  I used to
> buy the IBM xSeries x306 for firewalls and web servers and the x206 for
> low budget file servers, but both aren't being sold anymore.  I recently
> got a few IBM x3200 and x3550.  They are really nicely built and I
> hardly have any problems.  However, the on-board RAID controllers
> (Adaptec AIC-9580W) aren't supported under FreeBSD so I fit them with
> 3ware 9000 series RAID cards.  Although I really like those 3ware cards,
> it seems like an extra expense that could be avoided.
>
> What servers do you guys buy and why?  I would really like to have the
> on-board RAID supported. Do HP servers play well with FreeBSD?  If yes,
> which models would you recommend?

Check out ixsystems.com. They build and support servers particularly for
FreeBSD (and other lesser unix-like OSes) and are competitively priced. The
pre-sales engineer I talked to definitely had a clue so you should be able
to make a good decision before you give them any money. :)

If you're more of a do-it-yourself person then servers built around
supermicro boards should be reasonably compatible, but you'll want to
verify the network and storage chipsets beforehand if they're onboard.

HP ProLiant servers are generally decent. The onboard RAID is usually
supported by the ciss driver.

JN