On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 12:17:10 -0800
Greg M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    Hello, I am looking to reinstall bsd on another, newer machine. In the
> meantime, I need to uninstall it and install xp:( on my girlfriends older
> machine. I changed the boot sequence in bios so as to boot from the xp cd.
> The process begins, but than hangs up on a stop message saying that it will
> not go any further. Should I just fdisk the drive and start from scratch? And
> if so, how do I do that in bsd(not sure of the version, but it is about 5
> years old). Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

boot into the rescue console from the fbsd install cd (or in single mode of
your bsd HD  if that still works).

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0 bs=1024 count=10

will overwrite the first 10 MB of your disk (ad0) with zeroes. 10MB is
overkill, but why not :D after this, XP should be able to see the disk as a
blank disk, create a partition and format it. This will COMPLETELY destroy your
data in your disk, so make sure that's what you want to do (ie, this will not
help you install bsd alongside xp)

good luck,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Warned.