Josh Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, said on Sun Nov 11, 2007 [06:38:08 PM]:
} > is there a way to get the serial number from a drive from within the OS?  im
} > trying to audit the drives in my file server, but without pulling the thing
} > from the rack and cracking it open.  they are just standard sata drives, not
} > on any sort of raid controller (ie, i know 3ware cards are capable of
pulling
} > the drive info).
}
} Check dmesg (or /var/run/dmesg.boot). The serial number should show, e.g.:
}
} ad8: 381553MB <Seagate ST3400633AS 3.AAH> at ata4-master SATA150

That's a model number, not a serial number.

I'm not sure if there's a simpler way, but smartctl (from the smartmontools
port/package) will display a disk's serial number.

[602] [EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp$ smartctl -a /dev/ad0 | grep -i serial
Serial Number:    9QG386BV

There's probably a better way, but this should at least work.

--

   Jon Hamilton
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]