Saturday,, following the adviice of this group  plus things I
        found of the web, I put together this list of mods to make to
        /boot/loader.con,  /etc/rc.conf, and /etc/devfs.conf  ....Still,
        after rebooting/doing-hard-resets 5 or 6times, things hung if or
        if I did NOT have an audio CD in my top burner.

        Anybody see what's wrong with the following 37 lines of
        notes?

     ++ boot/loader.conf

     **The following may help some sound applications; there are not
     necessary for any CD/DVD problems:**

     The following strings are necessary for use of some or most Gnome
     and KDE audio applications:
     atapicam_load="YES"
     hw.ata.atapi_dma=1
     vfs.usermount=1

     ==========

     ++ /etc/rc.conf
     devd_enable=YES

     ==========

     ++ /etc/devfs.conf

     # Examples:
     .
     .
     .
     # Commonly used by many ports
     (Simply uncomment the line below [as shown].)

     link acd0 cdrom

     Add this line ver batim; it in effect just chmod'd /etc/cdrom so
     that all users can use it. [[ This implies that the users are at
     your computer!]]

     perm /dev/acd0 0666