On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 11:04:20AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
>       Saturday,, following the adviice of this group  plus things I
>       found of the web, I put together this list of mods to make to
>       /boot/loader.con,  /etc/rc.conf, and /etc/devfs.conf  ....Still,
>       after rebooting/doing-hard-resets 5 or 6times, things hung if or
>       if I did NOT have an audio CD in my top burner.
>
>       Anybody see what's wrong with the following 37 lines of
>       notes?
>
>      ++ boot/loader.conf
<snip>
>      atapicam_load="YES"

Atapicam is needed if you want to use cdrecord and growisofs
(dvd+rw-tools).

>      hw.ata.atapi_dma=1

Mine says (note the quotes);
hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

>      vfs.usermount=1

This should be in /etc/sysctl.conf

Don't forget that this is not sufficient you mount stuff as a normal
user;
- you need read/write permissions to the device
- and you need to _own_ the mount point.

>      ==========
>
>      ++ /etc/rc.conf
>      devd_enable=YES

By default, devd doesn't do anything usefull with CD/DVD devices, AFAICT.
I'm not sure what you need this for.

>      ++ /etc/devfs.conf
>
>      link acd0 cdrom
>      perm /dev/acd0 0666

Looks OK.

I've got the following in devfs.conf, to use the CD/DVD burner as a
pseudo SCSI device (atapicam in kernel, but not atapicd);

# Give members of group cdrom access to the CD/DVD-ROM and DVD+RW via the
# SCSI interface
own     xpt0    root:cdrom
perm    xpt0    0660
own     cd0     root:cdrom
perm    cd0     0660
own     cd1     root:cdrom
perm    cd1     0660
link    cd0     cdrom
link    cd0     dvd

The following is in /etc/devfs.rules;
add path 'pass*' mode 0660 group cdrom

IIRC I did this because pass devices are created as needed.

My kernel config has the following devices (among others);
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk srives
device          ataraid         # RAID drives
device          atapicam        # Emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI via CAM
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          cd              # Compact Disc
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

HTH,

Roland