On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 04:58 PM, Dan Delaney wrote:

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 10:34 AM, Thomas von Hassel wrote:
i know someone asked this question before:
But no one answered the man ...can anyone tell us if it can or cannot be done ?
Personally, I doubt it. The Cobalt is not a generic machine, and it runs a highly modified version of RedHat Linux. To install a new version of RedHat onto it you have to install it onto the drive on ANOTHER machine, apply the kernel patches, then put the drive back into the Cobalt. The reason I doubt that you could put a BSD on it is because of these Linux kernel patches that are needed to even make the OS boot up on the Cobalt.

But who knows. I've never tried putting a BSD on a Cobalt, but I have put a new version of RedHat on one. It's a pain. Read through the following site (which explains how to get a new version of RedHat on a Cobalt) and see if you think it would work for a BSD.

http://www.gurulabs.com/rhl-cobalt-howto/
ok thanx, i dont even know yet how old the machines are and what models they are.

I just dont like to run productions servers on 3 year old technology with no possibility to upgrade/secure them

/thomas