Robert Huff wrote:
Randy Ramsdell writes:
 > What is the value of background_fsck in /etc/rc.conf ?
> This isn't set. Was is supposed to be? So far, I have only
 installed applications we need. And everything seem fine except
 the reboot issue.

        I'm going to jump in here.
        Based on what you've said, it sounds like:

        the system was running
        there was power outage, the system did not have a UPS
        when the system rebooted, fsck complained but nothing was done
                about the errors

Let me clarify. All our servers are on UPSes, however the power outage outlasted the UPSes. That is why I stated prolonged power outage. Fsck did complain, but everything was fixed as I sat there and dealt with it. We do not want to deal with it in an offsite location and that is why this thread.

        IF THAT'S TRUE ...
                ... then the "seems" in your description is applicable,
and should be a red flag. Get someone to the system, reboot it into single user mode, and
run (and re-run) fsck until it runs without error.  (Answer 'y' to
all prompts.) This should be done whenever the file system is not
shutdown cleanly.
The filesystem is fine. Our set up just does not recover gracefully on hard reboots.
        (And consider a UPS, even it it only keeps the system alive for
the few minutes necessary for a clean shutdown.)
Is a dirty file system causing the reboots?
No. a power prolonged power failure caused the last  shutdown.
Possibly; wiser
heads than mine would have to lay out scearios.  But it may also be
responsible for other damage, more subtle but equally unpleasant.  A
fix is available.  Use it.
        I understand this will not be easy, and I sympathize.  Balance
that pain against the small but non-trivial chance to catastrophic
data loss, and choose wisely.

                                        Robert Huff

Thanks for the reply.

I think I will just set the rc.conf variable to answer "Y" to fsck questions unless there is a better way. A side note, this system has been hard shutdown two times and each time required intervention. We also use several Linux system ( reiserfs and ext3 ) and raely do I have to interact with the systems on reboot. There is a differnce and I am in the fisrt stages trying to understand this.

PS. I am confused about why so many people are replying to the list and my personal e-mail. This one was sent to me only. Others were sent to me and the list. Actually, every other reply. Is this normal for the list as I am new as of today?