On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> > I wish it were so. I have an NE2K compatible NIC
>
> Heh.  I was going to suggest exactly that.

:) Yeah, NE2K compatible NICs have always done right by me. But this one
is pretty obscure: its an 'Argosy EN-210' NIC.

> What problem do you have with (Free)BSD?

Well, I boot the laptop and it lists off the devices in the PCMCIA slots;
it correctly identifies a 16MB ATA flash disk, and a 3com PCMCIA nic that
I lost the dongle to, along with a two different modems. So I'm sure the
PCMCIA hardware is being used OK.

It just doesn't configure the NE2K pc card -- doesn't assign an ethernet
device to it, but it does so for the 3com.

> > I guess I'll try a clearance Xircom I saw and cross my fingers.
>
> Don't do that until you know what the problem is.

I suspect that *BSD would work if it correctly identified the card as NE2K
compatible and just tried to do it.

Any way I can force that?