First of all, thank you very much for your response. I have some follow up questions below.

On Dec 21, 2007, at 6:45 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

On Dec 21, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

What optimizations should I make in make.conf?

A reasonable starting point is no special optimizations, and simply disable debug options like WITNESS, INVARIANTS, etc.

I didn't see mention of these in the example make.conf so I don't know how to disable those if they are enabled in the first place.

If you plan to go beyond that, you'll need to start by doing some benchmarks [...]

I'm after the "low hanging fruit" and I don't really have the inclination to do such extensive tuning. I was just wondering if there is anything obvious.

The example make.conf says

AMD64 architecture: opteron, athlon64, nocona, prescott, core2

But I don't know whether althon64 or core2 would be the safest and most appropriate.

Also GENERIC for amd64 lists

  cpu    HAMMER

is that the best (only) choice?

Yes, as far as AMD64 code goes. You could always switch down to running in 32-bit mode, though.

That answer the question for the kernel configuration. But what should I put in make.conf as cputype? Right now, I've just left it unspecified.

I started a make buildworld and was surprised to see that it is using

  -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe

even though I didn't tell it to do so. -O2 sounds like an odd default when it appears to be recommended against.

Where should I look for the defaults?

Cheers,

-j