Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, Jay Chandler wrote:

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
Maybe I'm just doing this completely wrong:

prime# portsnap update
Ports tree is already up to date.
prime# portsnap fetch
Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap3.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching snapshot metadata... done.
Updating from Mon Nov 12 18:16:16 EST 2007 to Tue Dec 25 21:36:54 EST 2007.
Fetching 4 metadata patches... done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 4 metadata files...
[and so on]

Am I using this thing wrong?

-Dan

Yup. 'portsnap fetch update' is the command I use-- the reverse order that you're using 'em in.

Shouldn't I just need one of the two?

-Dan

Nope. fetch fetches the latest snapshot; update unpacks it. extract does the ENTIRE snapshot again, but that's generally not needed after the first time.

--
Jay Chandler / KB1JWQ
Living Legend / Systems Exorcist