Martin Boulianne wrote:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if I could use
dump (and restore) on Windows NTFS partitions.

Say I have a NTFS partition, ad0s1. Could I use:
  # dump -b 4 -f /backups/winxp.dump /dev/ad0s1
No. Dump is specific to ufs/ufs2 filesystems. It specifically knows the format of the filesystem (superblocks, inodes, directories etc). You just get an error if you try:

(cartman)103% dump -0 -f /tmp/foo /windows
 DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Jan 30 15:23:25 2008
 DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
 DUMP: Dumping /dev/ad4s1 (/windows) to /tmp/foo
 DUMP: Cannot find file system superblock
 DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

I don't know if there are NTFS utils running on FreeBSD that could do similar - others may, or search the ports for NTFS related software and see what the pkg-descr files say.

--Alex

PS A question is only dumb if you ask the same one repeatedly. This question might demonstrate some ignorance, but we were all ignorant once and questions are one of the best cures! IMHO, of course. (In the computer world, manuals are another cure but the page for dump was written when UFS was the *only* filesystem that worked on BSD, so fails to actually answer your question).