Mikhail Teterin wrote:
Hello!

I'd like the entire contents of each user's .mozilla/firefox/*/Cache directory to be excluded from the regular filesystem dumps.

Running ``chflags -R nodump /home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/Cache'' does the trick, but this needs to be redone daily -- prior to running the backup -- because new entries appear in the caches, obviously... The new entries don't have the nodump flag set.

Is there a way, the flag can be set automatically? For example, inherited from the directory? Thanks!

The dump man page for 6.2 says:

     Directories and regular files which have their ``nodump'' flag
     (UF_NODUMP) set will be omitted along with everything under such
     directories, subject to the -h option.

So if the "Cache" directories themselves are flagged, I think you'd be OK. Maybe

        chflags nodump /home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/Cache

(without the -R) would be a good thing to quickly make sure the directories are flagged in case the users delete/recreate the Cache folders, but wouldn't take as long as flagging each and every cache file.

You'd probably also want to add "-h 0" to the dump args, otherwise the cache files would be included in level 0 dumps.

        Barry