On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 11:53  PM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

3) I followed the directions to get font anti-aliasing working, and I
do have GDK_USE_XFT set to 1 via .gnomerc. However, I don't see any
difference in anti-aliasing. There was some anti-aliasing before I
did anything at all, for instance in mozilla some fonts are
anti-aliased. But there is none in the gnome2 desktop even after the
new settings. What am I missing? Do I just need to add the proper
fonts or something?
You need to make sure your XftConfig is setup correctly, and you have
the latest freetype2.  It hardly merits any work now as I'm on the
verge
of committing GNOME 2.2 which no longer requires GDK_USE_XFT.
I've done a bit of work on this, despite your suggestion not to, and
I'm still coming up short. I found a tutorial that suggests

xdpyinfo | grep -c -i render

as a test to see if XFree86 is including render support. Doing this on
my system returns 0 instead 1 which the tutorial says is necessary for
anti-aliasing. The tutorial says "wait until XFree86 supports Render
on your graphics card." This is an old machine with an ATI Mach64 CT,
so I would believe it is unsupported, however ...

What's strange is that anti-aliasing is clearly occurring in a few
places for me, most notably in Mozilla. In Mozilla Mail, a message
displayed in fixed-width font (Courier) is quite clearly anti-aliased,
next to a variable-width font (Times) that is not. Zooming the text to
600% makes this quite evident.

I also have seen anti-aliased text in the gdm2 graphic greeter. These
two examples existed even before I had added GDK_USE_XFT to my
environment, or followed any of the directions in the FAQ for enabling
anti-aliased text. So, there is anti-aliasing going on without any
settings whatsoever, but following the directions in the FAQ, adding
all my font directories to XftConfig, and setting "match edit
antialias=true;" in that file, still results in most fonts not being
anti-aliased.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?
What version of X is this?  You really need a recent 4.2.x version with
freetpye and type1 modules loaded.

Joe
Well, I have the XFree86-libraries-4.2.1_6 port installed, and my XF86Config file contains:

Section "Module"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
EndSection

I think that fits the bill, but obviously something is wrong...

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA