On Feb 5, 2008, at 7:17 PM, Lachlan Michael wrote:

On Feb 5, 2008, at 4:17 AM, Lachlan Michael wrote:

I have a question about debugging a memory error on FreeBSD.

When a user sends an e-mail with an attachment above about 500kB to
a very
small mailing list (4 members), Mailman on my server aborts processing
with the error
 MemoryError :  out of memory

[snip]

# limits
Resource limits (current):
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize         infinity kB
  datasize           524288 kB
  stacksize           65536 kB
  coredumpsize     infinity kB
  memoryuse        infinity kB
  memorylocked     infinity kB
  maxprocesses         5547
  openfiles           11095
  sbsize           infinity bytes
  vmemoryuse       infinity kB

Try running limits as the mailman user, not root.  All the mailman
programs run as your mailman user.

Ok, but mailman is a nologin user. Should I change this temporarily to check?

# su mailman
This account is currently not available.

I'm not sure about the syntax but limits -U mailman doesn't seem to make
the user mailman, but just use the class default.

# limits -U mailman
Resource limits for class default:
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize         infinity kB
  datasize         infinity kB
  stacksize        infinity kB
  coredumpsize     infinity kB
  memoryuse        infinity kB
  memorylocked     infinity kB
  maxprocesses     infinity
  openfiles        infinity
  sbsize           infinity bytes
  vmemoryuse       infinity kB

Yes, change it so that you can su to mailman and then run limits again. You need to see what happens in the context of user mailman since that is what all the mailman programs will get.

Dan