On 2008-Feb-08, at 8:38 AM, Chad Perrin wrote:

I'm setting up PF on a FreeBSD laptop that sometimes uses the wireless
device (iwi0) as its external interface, and sometimes uses the RJ-45
ethernet device (bge0) as its external interface.  Unfortunately, I
haven't figured out yet how to make that happen.

I'd like to be able to have the $ext_if value change depending on which interface is active and being used to connect to the outside world. Do I just need to create two full sets of rules in my pf.conf (or use a script to rewrite that file from scratch each time), even though I'll be using exactly the same rules for PF regardless of which interface I'm using, or
is there some simple way to avoid that sort of redundancy?  What am I
overlooking?

You can add a macro that will apply rules to both interfaces simultaneously. i.e.

lan_if = "bge0"
wi_if = "iwi0"

ext_if = "{" lan_if wi_if "}"

block in on $ext_if all

I know it's not dynamically updating but should suffice.

--
Regards,

Derek Buttineau
Internet Systems Developer