Several reasons:
 - you will learn good habits
 - you will, by necessity, learn and object oriented approach
 - Squeak is a great learning tool, with excellent debugging tools

Sounds like the main arguments that used to be made for learning Pascal.

Might be good, but not subscribed to by very many.

Actually, I did learn Pascal in University :-) A great language for learning structured programming. But that was then (the 70s).

We also learned VAX assembler, which is more to my point:

Because I learned VAX assembler first, it was easier for me to learn C, which practically mapped directly to the VAX instruction set. Knowing that C was nothing more than a glorified assembler kept me from making the serious mistakes that people who thought C was a high- level language, made.

My argument for Smalltalk is the same: If you learn Smalltalk first, then other OO languages will make a lot more sense, and you'll better understand the quirks of OO-tolerant languages, like C++ and Perl.

I'm also assuming that Rui's main goals are not vocational. That is, he's not trying to learn a language to earn a living. I'm guessing he's hoping to learn something new, to get his ideas out there, and to have a bit of fun. Smalltalk is easy to learn, and fun.

However, there are lots of ways to skin this cat... this is just my opinion.

-- John

Websites for On-line Collectible Dealers
Identry, LLC
John Almberg
(631) 546-5079
[EMAIL PROTECTED]