Jonathan McKeown wrote:
On Monday 11 February 2008 16:40, Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wrote:
Am Montag, 11. Februar 2008 15:32:26 schrieb Erich Dollansky:
Hi,

Reid Linnemann wrote:

  These ports have been removed because the End User License Agreement
  explicitly forbids to run the Flash Player on FreeBSD.
  For more details, see
    http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/license/desktop/.
I could not find the word FreeBSD in the license agreement.

BSD also does not appear there.
Read this (in the license agreement):

"""...
For the avoidance of doubt, no embedded or device versions of the above
operating systems, or any other operating systems, are included as
Authorized Operating Systems.
2.1    You may install and use the Software on a single desktop or laptop
computer that runs an Authorized Operating System. A license for the
Software may not be shared, installed or used concurrently on different
computers. """

OK, I followed the link above and was redirected to <http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/players>. I followed the link to Flash and found:

2.1 General Use. You may install and Use a copy of the Software on your compatible Computer, up to the Permitted Number of computers. The Software may not be shared, installed or used concurrently on different computers. See Section 3 for important restrictions on the Use of Adobe Reader and Web Players.

and the restriction under section 3:

3.1 Web Player Prohibited Devices. You may not Use any Web Player on any non-PC device or with any embedded or device version of any operating system.

I didn't wade through every word of the agreement, but as far as I can see, the licence everyone is talking about appears not to exist - and this, apparently the replacement, seems to be dated 20060607.

Are we sure the licence still bans FreeBSD?

Jonathan

I read the license and noted the same thing, which is why I went ahead and installed the linux flash plugin with a clear licensual conscience, though feeling a small pang of guilt as my inner RMS yelled at me. Maybe we should ask the maintainer to reevaluate the license?

James