Gary Kline skrev:
On Friday 29 February 2008 19:25:50 Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
On 18:18:06 Feb 29, Gary Kline wrote:
Is there a flag I can set to use with rsync to backup every file of
/usr/home/* [here on my FBSD desktop] to my Ubuntu desktop that has
only /home/*??

Of course, I could always create /usr/home on my other computers. ...
Your question is not clear to me.

I use

$ rsync -avzp --delete /usr/home/* /home

if that is what you are looking for.

What does the "--delete" do?!  I want to make a complete copy of, say,
/usr/home/kline/* from here [tao] to my Ubuntu server, ethos, which has
a "/home" mountpoint--- in otheer words: /home/kline/*. If the "--delete /usr/home* /home" syntax will let rsync rewrite /usr/home to /home, then fine.
gary

-Girish
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

--delete makes sure that if you delete a file on the source, it's also deleted on the mirror.

(Tip for those that use rsync to backup Windows machines to FreeBSD - You will most likely have to use --ignore-errors if you are syncing to/from windows machines with --delete.)

Just my nickels worth.

/R